Why Citrus Fruits Are Yummy for the Skin
Sweet, brightly colored citrus fruits bring a burst of sunshine into winter days. But citrus fruits are not only flavorful and pretty — they're also good for you.
This class of fruits includes lemons, limes, oranges and grapefruit, as well as many more hybrids and varieties.
Read on to learn more about how citrus fruits benefit the skin!
(Click photo to learn more about talented Toronto photographer @imara.asali and model @aguero_technique)
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) really is the key to the many benefits citrus provides the skin. Citrus not only adds a refreshing fragrance to formulations and treatments but it also helps to fight free radicals, repairs and rejuvenates the skin, maintains skin’s elasticity, helps with wound healing, and builds connective tissue. It also provides antibacterial and antioxidant support, boosts collagen production, encourages cell turnover, prevents and reduces pigmentation and fine lines, wrinkles, and stretch marks.
Learn more about your favorite fruits below!
- Grapefruit helps brighten and rejuvenate the skin and fight off free radicals for anti-aging benefits.
- Lemon is among the most acidic of the citrus fruits, but it is highly effective in treating hyperpigmentation and brightening the skin. It also helps fight acne.
- Lime helps treat dark spots and acne and brightens the skin.
- Mandarin improves skintone and helps prevent sun damage.
- Orange is among the least acidic citrus fruits, and it’s great for exfoliating and detoxifying skin to achieve a smoother texture. It contains vitamins C and E as well as antioxidants and zinc, which are ideal for acne-prone or oily skin types.
- Pomelo contains enzymes, which help remove dead skin cells.
- Tangerine brightens and smooths skin and helps prevent and treat acne
Legal Disclaimer: We are required by law to say that these statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, have a medical condition, or any doubts - please consult your physician before buying this product. We do not offer this product with the intention to treat, cure, diagnose or claim to cure any condition. All claims regarding this product are per third party findings.